Building powerful habits can set you up for success and create the foundations for how you behave in your life. Habits underpin what you do day in day out, the routines of your everyday life. Habits are the reasons you are wildly successful in some areas of your life but not in others. Recognises bad habits is the first step to creating the change, next is implementing the new, good habits. But...I’m not going to lie, it’s not always easy.
Habitual behaviors are hard to change because they have been ingrained within us for so long. We have to go against out old belief systems to consciously make changes for the better.
- Determine exactly WHY you want to change. Connect to how will it make you feel?
- Just choose one. Pick the most important habit and focus on one thing at a time. Anymore will leave you feeling overwhelmed and quitting all of them.
- Decide and commit once to your new habit, so then you won’t have to decide every day. Honour your choice.
- Start small. Your new habit must be achievable, this means being able to do it every single day.
- Complete your new habit at the same time each day. Early in the day is best so you won’t run out if the day gets busy.
There are many different ideas around how long it takes to form a new habit 21 days, 30 days, 60 days. The truth is, it’s different for everyone. Ultimately you will want the habit to be ongoing so setting a time frame can be risky.
A new behavior becomes a habit when it is ‘a settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up.’
Keep going until you find it hard to give up.
Stay tuned, we will be releasing a worksheet soon to help you on your way to forming NEW HEALTHY HABITS! - Elise C