Have you every woken up on a Monday and decided to implement a bunch of new healthy habits only to find that by the end of the week you’re lucky to have one of them stick?
I’ve been through this a million times and I guarantee you there’s not a single person who hasn’t gone through the same experience!
Eventually I worked out the trick…I call it Habit Layering!
Here’s how you get it done and implement a healthier way of living into your daily routine –
- Get yourself a calendar that you can hang up in a visible place, not in your phone or a closed diary but on the fridge or a pin board. Something you can look at every day!
- Now this is a long term goal! So pick 6 habits you want to have in place come spring, put them in order of importance/urgency.
- Selected the first Habit and decide on a time of the day (each day) you plan to complete the task.
- Now write it in your calendar for 3 weeks, if you have room write it in for the next 3 months!
- Pick your second habit and write it in for 3 – 12 weeks starting from the 3rd week on your calendar (see the pattern here?!)
- Repeat the pattern, making sure you continue layering up your habits!
- Refer to Abby Lewtas’s 5 steps to Making your habits stick for extra coaching.